Movie : Makante Achan
Language : Malayalam
Date : 27th Jan, 2009

I have a fairly strong belief that a director like VM Vinu cannot rise in his craft beyond a point. Even though when you walk in to watch his movie, you would want to be pleasantly surprised, you are almost sure that you know the man well from his past outings. I have seen many of his movies like Balettan, Vesham, Bus Conductor and have heard about his movies like Sooryan. Fair and Square, I was not expecting much.
'Makante Achan' is a fairly entertaining movie until the lights come on for the interval. Especially as my expectations were quite low I found myself pleasantly surprised at that time. I was quite unaware that second half could be so disastrous.The high points are some good scenes between Sreenivasan and Vineeth.


Vineeth seems have bettered after 'Cycle' for sure but his performance during the later parts of the movie leaves much to be desired. Sreenivasan is good except the scenes in the reality show where he looks artificial. Suhasini is fine as well.

Ok, now to the defining part which made me believe what I thought about VM Vinu was right. It’s the second half. As the second half takes off, VM Vinu comes in to his own. There is an unnecessarily over stretched episode about Jagathy as Fraud Saint. Along with that his antics with Bindu Panicker and all that. The whole story of father-son and their conflicting ambitions takes a back seat. And when it returns, its a weepy tear jerker. The director completely lost his plot in the second half.

The Climax for me was like almost a comedy show. There was the expected 'daddy u r the greatest' from the son and 'love needs to be expressed and sorry for not doing that' from the daddy. That was all fine but poorly handled things like the hostess of the talent show also weeping along with main characters (even though Ranjini Haridas does it every 2 weeks on Idea Star Singer). It made me laugh to say the least.

I feel that Sreenivasan would have ghost directed the first half coz VM Vinu wouldn't come up even with that kind of a first half. Anyways, I will keep waiting to be pleasantly surprised next time. Hope the day comes!!
Verdict : Below Average

Rating : 2/5

1 comments:

agree with ur review..second half would have been better eventhough I enjoyed Jagathy's antics as a fraud Swami..In first half VM Vinu definitely surprises..

Followers

My Space

Latest Top Tracks
----------------------
Goonja Sa He - Wake Up Sid - Hindi

Life is Crazy - Wake Up Sid - Hindi
Wake Up Sid - Hindi









About Me

The Rainmaker is intended as a blog for casual writing and bring about small little changes wherever possible.Initally, it would have movie reviews watched at the cinemas. For starters, movie reviews that I have written over over the past 2 years for Malayalam, Hindi and Tamil movies have been included here. ----------------------------- Next Likely Reviews - Ividam Swargamanu